Monday, September 26, 2005

My Muse Is A Jealous Lover

My Muse has been punishing me for neglecting her lately. Admittedly, I have been nurturing the gods of the Internet more. Especially these past few months when lappy has been my constant companion riding the waves of cyberspace, it has been giving me worlds of comfort, so different from the high i get when I write or read or sketch -- not better, just different.

Playing the role of the jealous lover only too perfectly is my Muse. And during the rare times when I turn to her for comfort -- as I have been wont to doing during highschool and college -- she only gives me a halfhearted smile and a nod before she walks away, leaving a trail of unfinished fiction, half-baked poems, and forced metaphors in its wake.

Last night while waiting for some movies to finish downloading, I opened up a blank document and tried working on some ideas that've been percolating in my head. More than that, the demons in my head needed to be let out. It's been a while since I've done so and it seems they have been getting too many to be dealt with passively as of late.

I got into a fairly good rhythm and actually found it easy to write, in a sense that the words just flowed from my fingers to the keyboard. After a couple of hours and around one-fourth of what I wanted typed neatly in several hundred words, I stopped. I looked at my fingers poised on the keys, and after a moment of inactivity, I wondered what was wrong.

I couldn't figure it out. It was all suddenly quiet. I let my demons out to play and it's like they never came back, taking my poor little ignored Muse with them. I even tried waiting a couple heartbeats minus several hours more, but after scores of paragraphs started, edited, and deleted, still nothing.

In the end I had to give it up, turn in for the night instead, and nestle back to the lover that has always been here -- lappy.

That is, until it decides to leave me too.